Thursday, April 24, 2008

Creepy ads

I've been seeing these ads around town for a few days, and I find the bird one incredibly creepy, so I'm submitting them to Sociological Images: Seeing Is Believing.

I'm not entirely sure why they bother me so much. I guess partly it's the sexualization of animals, but I think it's also because I can tell instantly that the bird is supposed to be female and the chipmunk is male by their poses. (I have no idea what that flower is.)

The statement at the bottom says: "TerraSuisse guarantees natural Swiss agriculture." I don't know what natural is supposed to mean. It seems to be a new line of "happy animal and plants" foods at one of the grocery store chains that implies more sustainable use of resources. It's separate from the official organic certification.






I dropped the ball last year on snapping pictures of the racist anti-immigration ads during an election campaign. Examples can be found elsewhere (one, two and the Wikipedia entry).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home