Sunday, October 28, 2007

Mystic Waters stub

I *finally* got the yarn and needles for the Mystic Waters KAL!!! I thought I was going to die of anticipation. I'm using my first pair of Addi Lace needles and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them already. They are everything I've been looking for in a slippery-yarn needle!

For yarn I ordered "san francisco" from handpaintedyarn.com, which is a blue/purple/black with green color in laceweight wool. When I got the skein out of the package, I have to admit I was kind of disappointed.



It turns out that I've never worked with handpainted yarn before, though, so I didn't realize what would happen when I started knitting. That big blob of green over there would turn into this lovely subtle shading and spots.

I knit up the test swatch using a single strand of the yarn, but it came out lacier than I liked:



So I knit up a bit with the handpainted yarn and a single strand of blue JaggerSpun Zephyr (wool and silk) and the result may possibly be the most gorgeous thing I have ever knitted. I have never been so in love with something I was knitting!!!!

This photo is a bit washed out (the other option is so dark you can't quite see the colors), so it doesn't quite show the color variations. To me (in real life) it looks like 'waves'--something about the way the color plays out reminds me of the colors in water waves.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Too Little Time said...

BEAUTIFUL - what is it going to be when finnished?

21:38  
Blogger --elf-- said...

I don't know!! It's a mystery shawl knit-a-long. I do know it will be a big triangle (really big--like 6 feet wide).

07:16  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home